Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Why Java?

I chose Java for one main reason - it is compatible with all major platforms, without having to write separate code for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.  At home, we use multiple platforms, and I imagine a lot of other people do the same thing.  In addition, the basic Java core is even used on the Android operating system.

To me, the Android looks like a lot of fun to program on.  It reminds me of the fun I used to have with my HP-41C way back when.  I was able to write things like integrals, and time step solutions for detention systems on this little calculator.  We pretty much ran our engineering office with a few of those machines running survey calcs on one and drainage calcs on another.  Now an Android phone is much more powerful, and can be used for many other things as well, and my head spins with the applications that would be so cool to run on those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment